‘The infection is returning’. The thought occurred to me last night just before bed and it was confirmed this morning when I woke up and investigated the state of my knee. A layer of yellow pus had formed. I knew I wasn’t fit to throw myself into India, but I still had to make the choice. Do I go anyway and just deal with it there? Or do I stay here where I have good reliable support? The only motivation I really have for going is that it would make me feel as if my journey was progressing. Here in Yangon I have support from Jeff and Soe Soe, and I also have a doctor familiar with my condition. I decided the risk was too great. I cancelled the taxi I had booked. I would miss my flight. I would overstay my Myanmar visa.
I still thought I could change my flight rather than cancel it altogether, so Jeff and I raced into the city to the Air India office. Unfortunately, I discovered that it was too late to get a refund on the flight. The best deal I could get was to get charged for being a no-show (US$70), but be able to reschedule the flight without further payment. After dealing with the airline, Jeff and I revisited the doctor and I was advised to start another course of antibiotics. I then faced the saddening prospect of unpacking my stuff and resettling back into my room.
|Distance ridden today||0km|
|Total distance ridden||14,339km|